Thursday, June 10, 2010

What Makes A Good Reader


Nabokov states that what makes a good reader is one who has imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense. He also states that the certain instrument to be used by the reader is impersonal imagination and artistic delight. These qualities are definitely helpful to the reader in the fact that they can think more outside the box, although some of these qualities may not suit every reader. I do agree that a good reader should have imagination and a dictionary, but not necessarily memory or artistic sense. I think that if a reader can grasp onto what they are reading just by understanding the context and meaning of words in the story, they are then able to create a mental picture in their mind and be able to better understand what the author is trying to convey.

I believe the characteristics of a good reader is one who has good concentration skills, one who is able to comprehend the text and be able to interpret the words, symbols, and key elements in the story to their understanding. Another characteristic of a good reader is one who is able to put themselves in the author’s shoes and develop a sense of the author’s feelings and emotions throughout the story. Being able to imagine what thoughts, actions, and feelings that the author is enduring will help the reader to make a better connection with the story. Lastly, I believe another characteristic of a good reader is one who is able to relate to a character or characters in the story for the reason that they will more likely be able to understand in a sense the author’s emotions throughout the story.

I do consider myself to be a good reader. When I read a book I do not continue onto the next chapter until I can fully understand and comprehend what is happening in the story. I will also have a dictionary if I come across a word I may not know the meaning of, so this helps me interpret the text better. Being an active reader also helps me to point out the important issues in the story and by actively reading it helps me to stay focused and not let my mind wander. A lot of times I like to just close my eyes and see everything in my mind, give everything in the book a setting, imagine what the characters look like, their personalities, and how I could relate to them in a way.

*Image URL: http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00039/child-reading_39361t.jpg

*Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzS8LahTDR8



No comments:

Post a Comment